Esophageal and Stomach Cancer Center
Welcome to the NKI Esophageal and Stomach Cancer Center. The digestive system is important for our survival. Every year, 2,500 people are diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the Netherlands, and an additional 1,700 people are diagnosed with stomach cancer. Cancer in the digestive system can be devastating and may significantly affect your quality of life. The NKI Esophageal and Stomach Cancer Center understands and is here for you. Our team exclusively treats people with stomach and esophageal cancer. This means that all physicians and nurses are specialists with expertise and years of experience in the field. Our team works hard every day to give our patients the best care and quality of life possible. Care and scientific research go hand in hand at our institute, so you can be sure that you are treated with the most recent developments and insights.
Do you have stomach cancer or esophageal cancer? Or do you suspect that you might? Know that you are in good hands at our institute. We understand that you and your loved ones are facing a difficult time in your lives, and you are not alone.
Why the NKI Esophageal and Stomach Cancer Center
We understand what you are going through
- Our physicians and nurses are specialized in esophageal and stomach cancer
- The treatment is personalized for you, because each person and each tumor is unique.
- One contact person during your entire treatment process.
- Research and care in one location: you can be sure that you will be treated according to the latest developments and newest treatment methods. We will provide a personalized treatment option for you.
- Access to the latest treatment options and clinical trials.
- Immediate clarity about your illness thanks to our rapid diagnostics.
- Receive a second opinion within a reasonable time if you have been diagnosed with stomach or esophageal cancer at a different hospital.
- International experts in hereditary stomach cancer.
297patients with stomach cancer
542patients with esophageal cancer
Your treatment team
Our specialists excel at esophageal and stomach cancer treatment. They come together for a multidisciplinary team meeting during which they will review your test results and medical history in order to find the best treatment plan for you. Your physician will discuss this plan with you. At the Netherlands Cancer Institute you are an equal partner in our team, and we will decide on your treatment together.
Clinical nurse specialists
Patient satisfaction rates at the Netherlands Cancer Institute
Patients give the Netherlands Cancer Institute the following ratings.
8.7Wishes when choosing treatment
8.8Shared decision making
Every Wednesday we offer the opportunity for rapid diagnostics for stomach or esaphogeal cancer. Your wait time will depend on the time of referral, but new patients can usually come in on the following Wednesday.
You can usually get a second opinion within five days
You can usually get a second opinion within seven days