I trained as a urologist at the RadboudUMC in Nijmegen. Before my urology training, I researched treatment for patients with non-muscle invasive bladder carcinomas and received my PhD in 2009. The implementation of hyperthermic intravesical chemotherapy (HIVEC) or thermochemotherapy or bladder irrigations with heated chemotherapy) in the Netherlands Cancer Institute is a result of that research. I quickly laid the foundation here for my further interest in urologic oncology. I have been working at the Netherlands Cancer Institute since 2014. First as a fellow in urologic oncology, then as a member of staff.
Our urology team always evaluates and improves care for patients with bladder, prostate, upper urinary tract (renal pelvis or pyelum, and ureter), urethra, testicular, penile, and urachus cancer. Every urologist in our team has a clinical and scientific specialization in one or more urologic cancer types.
I lead the multidisciplinary focus group on bladder, upper urinary tract, urethra, and urachus cancer at the Netherlands Cancer Institute with great enthusiasm. For patients with one of these illnesses we have set up a rapid diagnostics clinic every week, after which we come together for a multidisciplinary team meeting. This meeting involves a urologist, clinical nurse specialist, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist, radiologist, nuclear medicine specialist, and pathologist. If needed, a plastic surgeon and a colon surgeon can join us. Several urologic tumors are rare and ask for a unique approach with personalized advice. We act in accordance with the most recent insights and developments, and we want to contribute to these developments ourselves. We may ask you to participate in a scientific trial that we have initiated, or one we contribute to as part of a large, often international collaboration.
Roles and focus points:
- Open surgeon for patients after previous abdominal surgery and/or radiotherapy, in the area of the bladder, higher urinary tract, kidney, and testicular cancer.
- Robotic surgeon for upper urinary tract and kidney cancer
- Head focus group bladder, upper urinary tract, urethra and urachus cancer, Netherlands Cancer Institute
- Member of the Young Academic Urologists (YAU), the urothelial cancer working group, European Urology Association (EAU) (2015-2020)
- Medical advisor for patient information platform alles over urologie: non-muscle invasive bladder cancer, renal pelvis cancer and ureter cancer.
- Vice-educator for PhD students training in urology and fellows in urologic oncology
- 2014: Fellow of the European Board of Urology (FEBU), European Board of Urology
- 2014: Fellow Urologic oncology, Netherlands Cancer Institute
- 2009: PhD in new treatments for patients with non-muscle invasive bladder carcinomas
List of publications by dr. K. Hendricksen