My career as a physician began in 2009 when I started as an attending physician at the Netherlands Cancer Institute. During my PhD research into innovative imaging techniques during surgery, I fell in love with the field of urology. After continuing my training in Groningen, Leiden, and The Hague, I came back to the Netherlands Cancer Institute as a urologist in January 2019. I primarily focus on penile cancer, testicular cancer, and bladder cancer.
I lead the multidisciplinary penile cancer focus group at the Netherlands Cancer Institute with pride and joy. The Netherlands Cancer Institute is part of a network of European expert centers in which I represent the hospital's penile cancer department. This allows us to share our knowledge with the rest of Europe while keeping up with new developments. Our penile cancer focus group consists of urologists and penile cancer specialists within radiation oncology, oncology, plastic surgery, radiology, nuclear medicine, and pathology departments. We see patients within a week at our rapid diagnostics outpatient clinic and meet every week for a multidisciplinary team meeting.
This is how we ensure that all our patients are provided with precision medicine and personalized care. All possible treatment options are considered and available at the Netherlands Cancer Institute. As an expert center, we also take our patients' survivorship after the (often drastic) treatment into account. We closely collaborate with the survivorship center and the patient platform 'zeldzame kankers' (rare cancers; website in Dutch).
Oncological care at an academic level, but with easy communications and always innovative and patient-centered: that's what makes the Netherlands Cancer Institute the ideal place to contribute in the clinic as well as in research.
Positions and focus:
- Head penile cancer focus group at the Netherlands Cancer Institute
- Expert member penile cancer in European network: EURACAN / eUROGEN
- Medical advisor penile cancer for Dutch patient platform zeldzame kankers
- Member of focus group testicular cancer Netherlands Cancer Institute
- 2019: Fellow of the European Board of Urology (FEBU)
- 2013: PhD in image-guided surgery and sentinel node biopsy in penile cancer
Prizes and nominations:
- EAU Best Abstract Prize (Oncology), European Association of Urology
- NVU Vlietstra prize, Dutch Urological Association (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Urologie)
- ESMI Nomination Young Investigator Award, European Society of Molecular Imaging
- Nijbakker-Morra prize, Nijbakker-Morra foundation
List of publications by dr. O.R. Brouwer