Our Pain Treatment Department aims to offer each patient a fitting pain treatment. Our goal is to offer a holistic, multidisciplinary pain treatment during your illness. Thanks to improvements in cancer treatment, many (ex) patients live longer with chronic pain caused by their illness or its treatment. Our pain team aims to treat chronic (neuropathic) pain.
Are you experiencing pain symptoms before, during, or after your cancer treatment? Please ask your practicing physician if a referral to the pain treatment department would be beneficial for you. He or she can refer you to us. Our pain specialists hold consultations in clinic 2.
What can we do for you?
- During your first consultation with a pain specialist, we will discuss the questionnaire that you filled out before your appointment. We will physically examine you and run more diagnostic tests if needed.
- Then we come up with a personalized treatment plan for you. This plan may involve various medications or invasive measures.
- Pain may change during your treatment. We make sure to schedule follow-up appointments with you for which you will have to fill out a questionnaire, rating your pain between 0 and 10 (0 = no pain, 10 = the worst pain imaginable). We recommend contacting your general practitioner, specialist, or staff at the Pain treatment department whenever you notice a change in pain symptoms.
- After your surgery, you may experience acute postoperative pain for months. For some people, the pain won't go away at all. If you are experiencing pain a month after your surgery at the Netherlands Cancer Institute in the area that was operated on, please notify your surgeon. If necessary, they can refer you.
- We offer advice and treatment inpatient as well as outpatient. Your practicing physician can refer you to us for pain treatment.