Breast Cancer Center
More when needed, less when possible
One in seven women in the Netherlands will develop breast cancer. Every year, approximately 100 men are diagnosed with breast cancer as well. Our medical specialists, clinical nurse specialists, physician assistants, nurses, radiation therapists, assistants, and researchers are committed to providing our patients with the best possible care and quality of life, every single day. We are the largest specialized breast cancer center in the Netherlands, and our breast cancer research is among the international top. Many standard treatments (such as the mammaprint test and MARI procedure) were conceived at our hospital.
Have you been diagnosed with breast cancer? Or do you suspect that you might have it? Know that you are in good hands at our institute. We understand that you and your loved ones are facing a difficult time in your lives, and you are not alone.
Why the NKI Breast Cancer Center?
Why the NKI Breast Cancer Center?
You will receive excellent medical care
- Do you suspect that you may have breast cancer? We can see you one weekday after your referral and you will receive your results on the same day. We see 1000 patients on average at our rapid diagnostics clinic.
- Have you been diagnosed with breast cancer at a different hospital? You can come to us for a second opinion and/or treatment.
- Research and care in one location: you can be sure that you will be treated according to the latest developments.
- We run scientific clinical trials. Your practicing physician can tell you what your options are.
- Plenty of time and support for you and your loved ones.
- Strong focus on supportive care, like physical therapy, mental health care, or rehabilitation.
10344patients with breast cancer
You can usually get rapid diagnostics within one day
Have you been diagnosed with breast cancer at a different hospital? You can come to our hospital for a second opinion and/or treatment.
You will have an appointment at our rapid diagnostics second opinion clinic. This means that you will have a consultation and a physical examination with a surgeon or clinical nurse specialist. All previous diagnostic tests will be reviewed and analyzed. If necessary, you can have additional radiology or tissue testing done on the same day.
- All patients coming in for a second opinion will be discussed by our multidisciplinary team of all breast cancer specialists.
- You will receive personalized advice. We can give nearly all of our patients our recommendation on the same day.
You can usually get a second opinion within seven days
You can usually get a second opinion within six days
Meet our center
Meet the NKI Breast Cancer Center and watch the video (in Dutch).play video
Your treatment team
Our specialists excel at breast cancer treatment. They come together for a multidisciplinary team meeting during which they will review your test results and medical history in order to find the best treatment plan for you. Your physician will discuss this plan with you. At the Netherlands Cancer Institute you are an equal partner in our team, and we will decide on your treatment together.
Radiation Oncologists and Physician Assistents
Clinical Nurse Specialists
Sophie BalderNurse practitioner
Marjolein DelfosNurse practitioner in training
Marjo HoltkampNurse practitioner
Feia Hoving-PorteNurse practitioner
Lisette JansenNurse practitioner
Inge KemperNurse practitioner
Hanna van der PolNurse practitioner
Margaret SchotNurse practitioner
Victoria SkinnerNurse practitioner
Yvonne van StekNurse practitioner
Kathinka van VlietNurse practitioner
Nicolette van WarmerdamNurse practitioner
Nucleair Medicine Specialists
Cancer may be cruel, but the Netherlands Cancer Institute will always feel like a place of peace and comfort to me.
Breast cancer patient
Satisfaction rates for patients with breast cancer at the Netherlands Cancer Institute
Patients with breast cancer give the Netherlands Cancer Institute the following ratings.
8.4Wishes when choosing treatment
8.2Shared decision making
The latest news about treatment and research
Besides its clinical work, the Netherlands Cancer Institute is a distinguished cancer research institute. 700 enthusiastic researchers work hard every day to gain a better understanding of the development and treatment of cancer. Many of our trials concern breast cancer. If we find a trial that is suitable for you, your practicing physician will discuss this with you.
Watch our lecture about breast cancer hereplay video