Sarcomas and GIST Center
Welcome to the NKI Sarcomas and GIST center. Our team excels at sarcomas and GIST, and all our doctors and nurses are specialists in the field. This gives them a huge level of expertise and years of experience. Our team works hard every day to give you the best treatment with the highest quality of life. Our hospital combines care with scientific research, so you can be sure that you are getting treatment according to the latest insights.
Do you have a sarcoma or GIST? Or do you suspect that you might? Know that you are in good hands at our institute. We understand that you and your loved ones are facing a difficult time in your lives, and you are not alone.
Why the NKI Sarcomas and GIST Center?
Because soft tissue tumors are so rare and varied in their location, behavior, and sensitivity to treatment, the past couple of years have shown us how important it is to refer these sarcoma patients to an expert center for soft tissue tumors like the Netherlands Cancer Institute. Especially patients with high-risk sarcomas are proven to have a better quality of life after their treatment when treated at an expert center.
- Have you been diagnosed with breast cancer at a different hospital? You can come to us for a second opinion and/or treatment.
- Research and care in one location: you can be sure that you will be treated according to the latest developments. We can give you a personalized treatment plan.
- GIST is a rare illness that calls for a multidisciplinary team, assessment, and treatment advice. This is why the pathologist, radiologist, surgeon, and medical oncologist at the NKI collaborate together. The multidisciplinary sarcoma team has a lot of experience in treating GIST.
- Large focus on supportive care, like physical therapy, mental health care, dietetics, and rehabilitation.
- Plenty of time for you and your loved ones.
1095patients with sarcomas
Every Tuesday we schedule a clinic for new patients coming in for rapid diagnostics or second opinions. The wait times will depend on the day of referral, but new patients can usually come to the clinic on the following Tuesday.
Your sarcoma treatment team
Our specialists excel at sarcomas/soft tissue tumors and GIST. They come together for a multidisciplinary team meeting during which they will review your test results and medical history in order to find the best treatment plan for you. Your physician will discuss this plan with you. At the Netherlands Cancer Institute you are an equal partner in our team, and we will decide on your treatment together.
Clinical nurse specialists
Treatment team GIST
Patient satisfaction rates at the Netherlands Cancer Institute
Patients give the Netherlands Cancer Institute the following ratings.
8.3Shared decision making
Next to its clinical work, the Netherlands Cancer Institute is a distinguished cancer research institute. 700 enthusiastic researchers work hard every day to gain a better understanding of the development and treatment of cancer. Many of our trials concern sarcomas or GIST. If we find a trial that is suitable for you, your practicing physician will discuss this with you.